During his lifetime, Shirdi Sai Baba was known to have performed several miracles, many of which were witnessed by his devotees and documented in various books and reports. These miracles were considered as a means of encouraging faith and devotion in his followers as well as an evidence of his supernatural authority. The following are some examples of Shirdi Sai Baba’s miracles:
- Healing of the sick: Sai Baba was believed to have the ability to heal individuals from various illnesses just by laying his hands on them or using holy ash (called Udi) as a treatment.
- Object materialisation: On multiple occasions, Sai Baba was witnessed to materialise objects out of thin air, such as food, flowers, and jewels, which he would then shower his disciples with.
- Raising the dead: It is said that Sai Baba once resurrected a dead infant by touching him and uttering a mantra.
- Controlling the elements: Sai Baba was noted for his ability to manipulate the elements, such as stopping a raging storm or lighting lamps without the use of physical means.
- Predicting the future: Sai Baba was supposed to be able to predict the future and provide counsel to his devotees.
- Levitation: Many of Sai Baba’s followers have reported seeing him levitating off the ground during his meditations.
- Appearing in two places at once: Some devotees claimed to have seen Sai Baba in two different places at the same time, leading them to believe that he possessed the capacity of bilocation.
These are only a few of the numerous miracles ascribed to Shirdi Sai Baba. While these miracles were considered as proof of his divinity, Sai Baba always maintained that they were not the main focus of his teachings, which emphasised the significance of love, faith, and service to others.